Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Finally THE day came.

This morning when I left the house I was surprised by the big queue in front of the entrance of Cambridge City Hall.
Of course, I knew that today is THE day, but I didn't expect a queue. In Germany voting is not so popular, even worse the participation rates dropped dramatically during the last years. The only time that I have seen queues in front of polls was on TV when there were the first democratic votes ever in some tiny African country.
Apropos democratic: Anyone of the German readers NOT convinced that Obama will win?
It is more than voting, it is voting for an extraordinary person that led to a wave of enthusiasm especially among young people.

I am super curious about the result. But also a little afraid. What happens if Obama loses? Even if no one can imagine it right now?

Do you remember my post from August? Where I wrote about the historical day of the nomination of Barack Obama as the presidential candidate of the Democrats?
Today is an even more historical day: the first Afroamerican as a candidate, and even better he is the candidate leading in the surveys.
And today will hopefully be the most historical day in this row..........

And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!"

(Martin Luther King)

I have a dream, and millions of Americans have it too! Let the dream come true!

No comments: