Friday, August 29, 2008

Yes, we can

Nearly one year ago I arrived in Boston, right at the start of the primaries for the US presidential election in November 2008. Now I am even so lucky that I will still be here to see what's happening in the end.

In the beginning, I was not sure which candidate of the Democrats I would like more as a president - for the first time in US history a woman or for the first time in US history a black person. But during all the ongoing debates, from news in German TV and news in American TV I got more and more inspired by the charisma of this man who will hopefully decide the right things when they are needed.

Today it was finally officially decided: Barack Obama is the Democratic Candidate for President.

Exactly 45 years ago, on August 29th 2008, Martin Luther King Jr. held his famous speech "I have a dream" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVxaYz0SRMY

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
I have a dream today
(Martin Luther King Junior 1963)



With the nomination of Barack Obama, the United States came a little closer to the 45-year-old dream of Martin Luther King.

No comments: